Research Outreach Officer
York Centre for Asian Research
Limited Term until 31 May 2016
Part-time, 23 hours/week
Reports to: YCAR Director
Hourly Rate of Pay: $22.33
Under the general supervision of the YCAR Director, the YCAR Research Outreach Officer will be responsible for mobilizing and communicating York-based Asian and Asian diaspora research. The incumbent will use multiple publication and online channels to reach various audiences including: academic peers, policy analysts, government officials, community organizers, service providers, activists and the general public.
Knowledge Mobilization Communication – 50%
Research Outreach – Social Media and Web Design and Maintenance – 30%
Operations Support – 15%
Other duties as assigned – 5%
Major Areas of Responsibility:
KNOWLEDGE MOBILIZATION COORDINATION 50%
- Develops and implements communication and outreach plans to reach policy, community, and other audiences, including but not limited to pitching stories to print and electronic media.
- Disseminates a broad range of thematic knowledge exchange materials in clear language and in different formats (hard copy, electronic, and audio-visual).
- Advises and assists YCAR Associates with the dissemination of their findings among target audiences.
- Supports YCAR associates and visiting scholars in their knowledge exchange activities by responding to their inquiries and providing advice and information.
- Monitoring media for York Asian research quotes, interviews etc
- Overseeing the publication of Asia Research Brief and Asian Colloquia Papers series – including soliciting and editing submissions from York faculty and graduate students associated with the Centre.
RESEARCH OUTREACH – Social Media and Web Design and Maintenance 30%
- Redesigns and maintains interactive databases, including those of YCAR Associates, electronic newsletter subscribers, and listservs; web-based platforms, including the YCAR web site and project-specific portals; and institutional publicity documents.
- Gathers, processes (edits), and delivers content for various YCAR media, print and online alike.
- Prepares, writes or edits a broad range of thematic knowledge exchange materials in clear language and in different formats (hard copy, electronic, and audio-visual).
- Develops and keeps up to date web-based materials including web content on the YCAR site to enhance the exchange of information.
- Coordinates development of video-based content e.g. through YCAR “TED talks”
- Develops and disseminates print and electronic materials for knowledge mobilization programs and services.
- Develops and maintains YCAR’s presence on relevant social media platforms including listservs, Facebook and posting on the Twitter account and follows up on replies.
- Creates and maintains filing system for communications materials
OPERATIONS SUPPORT 15%
- Contributes to production of planning documents and, under the supervision of the Director and Coordinator, by drafting and overseeing the production and distribution of the annual activities report and other reports as necessary.
- Drafts correspondence for approval by the Director and/or Coordinator.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED 5%
Responsibility for Others: No
Job Qualification and Related Skill Requirements
Minimum undergraduate degree is required, with graduate degree an asset, in the social sciences or humanities, or information studies/library studies or journalism.
Minimum one to two years of experience working in a research, policy or media environment with a knowledge mobilization mandate, for example: university, government, NGO, community, media or voluntary agency. Experience of Asian research or work with Asian diaspora organizations or related government non-governmental organizations will be considered strong assets. Experience in media environment (ethnic and/or mainstream) also considered an asset.
Proven ability to write and edit to a professional standard in both academic and plain English. Expertise in outreach through web-based applications and social media. Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment; excellent judgment, oral and written communication, interpersonal, problem-solving and organizational skills; ability to multitask, set priorities and meet tight deadlines; professionalism, tact, sensitivity and diplomacy in interactions with internal and external constituencies; flexibility, self-directed and demonstrated initiative, creativity; high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Demonstrated advanced skills in MS Office, and proven skill and experience in web design software (WordPress). Demonstrated experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube) required, preferably in a research environment. Ability to work with list serves and to use Google analytics and other web metrics.
Additional Language Skills Required: No
Please forward resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 November 2015