The Young-Rahn Woo Memorial Graduate Award will be granted to graduate students conducting research in Korean language or culture studies or whose research may require them to travel to Korea. Preference will be given to students in visual arts. In the event that there are no such candidates available, consideration will be extended to graduate students studying a topic in the humanities or fine arts (especially visual arts) elsewhere in Asia.
The Woo family established this award in loving memory of their wife and mother.
Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to community volunteerism. The recipient must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person, and resident of Ontario, and demonstrate financial need. The recipient of the Young-Rahn Woo Memorial Graduate Award is not eligible to also receive the Dr. Sangdeok Woo and Mrs. Kwisoon Lim Woo Graduate Award.
The value of the award is up to $12,500.
The Award is administered by the York Centre for Asian Research (YCAR) and will be given annually to candidates selected by the Awards sub-committee of the YCAR Executive. The application deadline is Tuesday, 11 February 2020 before 4pm. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. The successful applicant will be notified within 30 days.
Applications should include:
- Official or unofficial copy of university transcripts
- Two-page proposal describing the objectives of the research or programme of study to be undertaken
- One page summary of the student’s personal and educational background
- Signed copy of a completed Student Financial Profile accessible online (http://www.yorku.ca/sfs/aid/sfp) or here as a PDF (for current York University students only)
- Application Endorsement: Current York University students should request two York University faculty members endorse their application using the referee form below. Prospective York University students should request the prospective graduate program office to forward copies of two reference letters that were submitted for their admissions file to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
A two-page report will be required from awardees within two weeks of completing their research for a dissertation or thesis. This report should summarize the learning gained and describe how the newly acquired knowledge will help the awardee in the future.
York University Award Code: 3973
Application Form: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=152596
Recommendation Form for Referees: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=147265
For more information: email@example.com