YCAR Language Awards will be given to graduate students enrolled at York University and registered for the Graduate Diploma in Asian Studies (GDAS), administered by the York Centre for Asian Research (YCAR). The awards reimburse costs directly related to language study. In most circumstances, this does not include travel expenses related to language acquisition. Receipts will be required before language training expenses are reimbursed. The award is open to local and international students who are enrolled in the GDAS at York, have a grade point average of at least B+, and with demonstrated need to learn a specific Asian language to appreciate and better understand the context and perspectives relating to their area of research.
The value of each award is dependent on various factors, including the number of applicants as well as the proposed budget in the application.
Application Process: Applications are due on Tuesday, 11 February 2020 before 4pm, with the successful applicant(s) being notified within 30 days.
Applications should include:
- An unofficial copy of current York University transcript of marks (accessible through Student Web Services)
- Two-page research proposal describing the objectives of Asian study and how the language acquisition will contribute further to the proposed research
- One page outline of the chosen language program in relation to the applicant’s area of research study that justifies how it will provide a reasonable opportunity to increase their language skill level
- One page summary of the student’s personal and educational background
- A budget detailing how the student intends to use the funds
- Any supporting documentation, including Human Participants Research Protocol (if applicable).
Two faculty members should endorse the application; at least one must be a YCAR Faculty Associate.
York University Award Code: 3219
Application Form: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=150089
Recommendation Form for Referees: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=147886