Vivienne Poy Asian Research Awards are granted to graduate students enrolled at York University and who are graduate associates of the York Centre for Asian Research. Priority will be given to students who apply to do research in fulfillment of the fieldwork requirement of the Graduate Diploma in Asian Studies (GDAS). The award is open to local and international students who have a grade point average of at least B+ and can demonstrate that fieldwork in Asia will contribute to the completion of their program and to an understanding of Asia or Asian diaspora. Financial need will also be considered. The criteria for selection will include the importance of fieldwork for the graduate student’s program and the accompanying budget, the academic merit of the research proposal, fit with YCAR’s research mandate, and active participation in YCAR, including enrollment in the GDAS. Academic merit will include clarity of the proposal, potential contribution of proposed research to Asian Studies and to Asian communities, and feasibility of the research.
A two-page report will be required from awardees within two weeks of returning to Canada from fieldwork in Asia. This report should summarize the learning gained and describe how the newly acquired knowledge will help the awardee in the future.
Applications should include:
- An unofficial copy of current York University transcript of marks (accessible through Student Web Services)
- Two-page research proposal describing the objectives of Asian or Asian diaspora study and how the fieldwork will contribute further to the proposed research as well as to YCAR’s mandate to support Asian or Asian diaspora research and outreach
- One page summary of the student’s personal and educational background
- A budget for the proposed research
- Other relevant documentation, including Human Participants Research Protocol (if applicable).
The application deadline is Monday, 05 February 2024 by 4pm. The successful applicant will be notified within 30 days.
Two faculty members should endorse the application; at least one must be a YCAR Faculty Associate.
York University Award Code: 3383
Application form: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=149045
Referee form: https://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=148882