Deadline: Monday, 6 February 2023 at 16:00 EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Philippine Studies Group is offering at least three awards of up to $8,000 each for to support research related to the Philippines and/or to the Filpinx diaspora. This opportunity is open to:
- domestic and international, part-time and full-time graduate students registered at York University in the Winter 2023 term
- postdoctoral fellows holding a fellowship at York University in the Winter 2023 term
The application should include:
- A two-page research proposal, indicating the research questions being examined, the methods and methodologies being used, and research plans.
- One page summary of the student’s personal and educational background
- Stipend budget that details the actual expected costs associated with the research discussed in the proposal.
- Other relevant documentation, including Human Participants Research Protocol (if applicable).
- Endorsement from PhD/MA or Postdoctoral fellow supervisor.
The PSG Awards Committee will consider the following in their adjudication:
- how fieldwork in the Philippines, in Canada, or in their chosen research site will contribute to the completion of their programme and to an understanding of the Philippines or the Filipino/a/ix Diaspora.
- importance of fieldwork for the graduate student’s programme
- academic merit of the research proposal
- clarity of the proposal
- feasibility of the research
- financial need
All applicants will be informed of the committee’s adjudication by 28 February 2023.
By September 15, 2023, the successful student will be required to provide the Philippine Studies Group with a 500-1000 word summary of research findings which will be published as part of the “Philippine Studies Group Working Paper Series”. They will also be asked to supply a one-page report that details how their research benefited from the Award as well as describing how their newly acquired knowledge will aid future learning and research.
This Award is made possible through funding provided by the Philippines government to York University in support of initiatives related to Filipino history, cultures and society. The award is administered by the Philippine Studies Group Awards Committee.
Questions and submissions can be emailed to email@example.com. Put “Philippine Studies Group Graduate Student/Postdoctoral Fellow research stipend” on the subject line.