Deadline: Monday, 6 February 2023 at 16:00 EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Philippine Studies Group is offering two awards of up to $4,500 each for language acquisition. This opportunity is open to domestic and international, part-time and full-time undergraduate and graduate students registered at York University in the Winter 2023 term.
The application should include:
- A letter indicating which Philippine language they want to study and how learning this language will contribute to their research plans (no more than two pages) or, for undergraduate students, to their studies.
- One page summary of the student’s personal and educational background
- Budget that details the actual expected costs associated language instructions and if, relevant, travel costs for those applicants who plan to travel to the Philippines to learn the language
- Other relevant documentation, including Human Participants Research Protocol (if applicable).
- For undergraduate students, an endorsement from a course instructor; for PhD/<A students, the endorsement of the supervisor.
The Philippine Studies Group Awards Committee will consider the following in their adjudication:
- how language study will contribute to the completion of their programme and to an understanding of the Philippines or the Filipino/a/ix Diaspora.
- importance of fieldwork for the graduate student’s programme
- academic merit of the language study proposal
- clarity of the proposal
- feasibility of the research
- financial need
All applicants will be informed of the committee’s adjudication by 28 February 2023.
By September 15, 2023, the successful student will be required to provide the Philippine Studies Group with a two-page report that details how their research benefited from the Award as well as describing how their newly acquired knowledge will aid future learning and research.
This Award is made possible through funding provided by the Philippines government to York University in support of initiatives related to Filipino history, cultures and society. The award is administered by the Philippine Studies Group Awards Committee.
Questions and submissions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “PSG Language Study Subsidy” on the subject line.