In celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, York University will host an international symposium exploring the theme “Retrospect and Prospect” in Chinese Canadian literature and media.
The Symposium invites scholars in Canada and abroad from different disciplines and using various theoretical methodologies and cross-cultural approaches to submit proposals. The Symposium aims to examine how diverse cultural encounters have impacted Chinese Canadian writers and media in narration of the history of Chinese Canadian and how the diasporic experience of Chinese Canadian in the multicultural society and in the post-colonial era shape their cultural identities.
The Symposium will feature a keynote speech and roundtable discussions by invited guests of ethnic Chinese writers and scholars of diasporic studies.
Organizers welcome proposals for organized panels and individual papers.
For organized panels:
1. Panel title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese);
2. Paper title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese) for each prospective paper presentation;
3. Panels should include a maximum of five (5) members, including one (1) panel chair and/or one (1) discussant;
4. Panelist information (full name, affiliation, rank, contact information, etc.).
5. Language used for presentation (English or Chinese).
For individual papers:
1. Paper title and abstract (250 words maximum in English or 400 characters maximum in Chinese);
2. Paper presenter information (full name, affiliation, rank, contact information, etc.).
3. Language used (English or Chinese)
Proposals must be submitted electronically to http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=192945 by 18 December 2016.
Submitted proposals will be reviewed by the program committee. Successful applicants will be notified by 6 January 2017.
Participants of the Symposium are expected to fund their own travel and accommodation. Limited financial support is available for some graduate students or junior scholars. If you would like to be considered for financial support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 December 2016. Please note that the Symposium operates on a limited budget, and will only be able to provide a partial grant to the selected recipients. Requests for funding received after this date will not be taken into consideration. Apply here: http://laps.apps01.yorku.ca/machform/view.php?id=193102
The Symposium is jointly organized by the Chinese Section of York University, Jinan University, York Centre for Asian Research at York University, the Society for Chinese Canadian Literature Studies, and Chinese Association for World Literature in Chinese.